But are they really your friends or do the have other motives in mind? How would you know? You could outright ask them if they consider you to be a true friend (not too pushy). Their response can mean alot.
Now this blog is based on my experiences as well things proven in life. Do not use it as law lol... It can be helpful to keep the following information in mind.
There are also signs you may want to look out for to determine if this "friend" is truly your friend or not. This is not set in stone but you may just want to consider these items.
- He/She ignores you when in a public place or when you are all with a group of friends.
- He/She only wants to converse with you when they need something or have an issue where they need advice and makes no offer to talk with you otherwise. In other words, they do not reciprocate and offer a listening ear when you need to talk about something.
- He/She has stolen or lied to you frequently.
- He/She joins others in talking about you behind your back.
- He/She is very jealous or even envious of the things you have. They do not seem to be happy when things are going good for you.
- Do you trust them? ( If you do not trust them, there is no need to go further, you should be able to have some trust in a real friend.)
- Are they almost always there, when possible, for you when you need them?
- Are they willing to tell you the truth when you ask for advice, even when it means disagreeing with you. ( A "YES MAN" is not a friend, you need someone that will be honest with you about anything, even when it means saying no.)
- Do you feel included when around other friends.
If you have to questions your friendship with someone, there is a good chance that something is wrong.
Do not weigh positive actions against negative actions. For example, no matter how many good qualities a person has, there are some things a "friend" should never do. A true friend should not talk behind you back, steal or constantly lie to you... no matter how nice they may seem.
Remember, true friendship takes commitment. People are not perfect and we all make mistake. You may even feel slightly disappointed once in a while. Do not end your friendship over something trivial.